SergeInTheUK

Saturday, July 22, 2006

T - 1 (one day left in Europe)


Well, I just arrived in London, UK with the air hot and humid and dark storm clouds looming overhead. As I went through the passport check, I felt like a regular having seen this exact spot several times. I also felt a pang of relief at being able to speak English. Although the past 2 weeks in Spain were great and I learnt a lot, I realize there is significant comfort in being to express oneself in your native language (of which I luckely have two).

Pictured on the side is the "crew", Myself, Ana (Russian-Italian), Flavia (Brazilian) and Scott (another Canadian from Vancouver) whom I spent most of my first and second week with, learning the language in broken phrases but improving nevertheless and gaining confidence.

I am typing this blog with a bit of nostalgy. I realize that my LSE days are coming to an end. I think about all the amazing things that have happened over the course of the last 10 months. Starting school again at one of the worlds most prestigious learning institutions; travelling in the UK, Czech Republic, Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Spain, Ireland, Germany, Russia and Romania; spending so much time with (and without) the love of my life; going through surgeries, travels in Southern Ontario and discovering a new language (Spanish); rekindling friendships in Ottawa and discovering that home is where friends live; passing my Masters with a merit and preparing to start another one in Toronto (including finding a place to live). Yes, the last 10 months were quite eventful and I was bleshed to spend it with great friends and family (my mother, aunt, sister and cousin were all guests of mine while I was in London).

All good things must come to an end. But new adventures beckon and I'm certain that living in Toronto will bring its share of exciting and new discoveries. First, I have to enjoy my summer with 2 invitations to weddings along with 10 days with Jessica in my home province of Nova Scotia and a trip to see my family in Val Morins, Quebec.

So, I end this blog (and sergeintheuk.blogspot.com) with a philosophical quote from my dad: "Happiness is never a destination. Happiness is the way you travel through life". May all your travels be blessed.

2 Comments:

  • Sad to see it end, Serge...maybe you could keep it up while you're in TO??? Perhaps under a new name though...

    By Blogger Alice, at 7:52 PM  

  • Yeah, maybe TOSerge instead of LCSerge. Or Torontopia! Great to see your pics of NS--some of them are absolutely beautiful: you are a great photographer, Serge. Congratulations on your engagement. I look forward to seeing you in TO.

    By Blogger Alexandra, at 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home