SergeInTheUK

Monday, July 03, 2006

From Russia with love...

Well, I was half expecting to see cement blocks and babuska's begging for money when I arrived in Moscow but I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. A modern, post-communism and not-so rampant capitalism has replaced the old soviet system... but not without its hiccups as my previous blog entries will attest.

Nina and her family were perfect hosts making me feel right at home and part of the family. Their generosity and warm welcome made my stay in Russia so enjoyable and I got to discover interesting aspects of current and past life in Russia (not to mention Russian beers and food!). Nina was an amazing guide showing me the best sights and part of her life here in Moscow. I got to meet some of her friends and discover Russian-style Opera (we saw Don Juan), as well as many great restaurants serving old-style soviet dishes (along with soviet music... very happy stuff!) as well as fares from some of the CIS-countries. I will have fond memories of the interesting and amusing sights in Russia and I recommend anyone to visit this part of the world... but bring patience and a sense of humour along. They always help to get you through the bureaucratic and sometimes bizarre steps in getting through the border and police controls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home