SergeInTheUK

Sunday, June 18, 2006

In God's Country...

I am sitting in Cork, Ireland. After arriving in Dublin a few days ago, I am strangely longing for Nova Scotia. Everything about this place, from the streets, to the people, to the towns to the valleys reminds me of home. If I was to recommend a place for Nova Scotian to visit so that he would feel right at home, I would think of Ireland in a heartbeat.

Dublin is such a vibrant city with almost as many bars as in Halifax and fiddlers all over town. There is also so much history here. Yesterday, we visited the Jail were they sent most of the Irish dissidents from the Dublin area during the Easter rising. We learnt about the tragic events leading up to it and the resolution which divided the country. The United Kingdom is so good in dividing and conquering their countries. We spent a lot of time walking and taking in the streets. We also visited the Guiness brewery (but I still think the one at Keiths is better!). We have drunk a lot and have watched many World Cup matches. It's great to be in Europe to enjoy the atmosphere.

Tomorrow, we rent a car and visit the West of Ireland. It reminds me of the Nova Scotia coast. The weather is also similar (rain, clouds, sun, rain again!). Exams are done and I think I did quite well (with the exception of my first exam) but I believe I passed my program. I shall know by July 1st. It's nice to be seeing some new sites but it makes me miss my home as well. It will be nice to visit Cape-Breton again this summer and see my friends and family in Nova Scotia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home