SergeInTheUK

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

One exam written, 3 parks visited and one musical seen



I'm a little tired after an exhausting, warm day in London. Weather is hot and muggy (starting to remind me of Ottawa before I left... ironically longing for cold, wet London I discovered when I first arrived). However, it was a pretty nice day after all. Sat for my exam this morning. I remembered to bring everything... except my calculator. I had an extra hour before the exam so I started walking towards the residence to pick it up (it's a 25 minute walk back) when I made a detour and bought a new one at the stationery store (much less trouble!).

The exam was 5 question (4 mathematical and one essay question) with open book and the problems were earily similar to problems we had done in class (which I had the answers and the questions to given it was open book). I'm a little worried it was too easy (perhaps I missed something?). I am somewhat comforted this is a first-year undergrad course (and I am 26 entering a masters program). But somehow, I can't count my eggs before they hatch so I knock on wood wherever I see it... Okay, enough with the clichés for tonight.

After the exam, Ted, Sarunas, Michael and I went to a local Italian (tourist trap) restaurant between LSE and trafalgar square. London is busy with the tourist even after the bombings... Food was great although a little pricey (I had pasta and paid the equivalent for a Canadian restaurant for pasta, entrée, wine, taxes, tip and a violonist to accompany my meal... but hey, that's London!).

Michael, Ted and I wanted to go see a musical but Ted chickened out because his brother's in town so it ended up being just Michael and I. There is a half-price ticket office for musicals at the Leicester square. We got front row tickets to Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. It was an amazing production and a musical to lift the spirits. The actors looked like they were all on prozac (i.e. they smiled... alot) but the music was extremely catchy and the special effects really impressive. There were a lot of really funny parts. The only bad thing about the experience is that I kind of feel like I joined a cult (we were all standing, clapping our hands to the music and singing along at the end...)

Wow... I'm skipping here. Before I saw the musical, I decided to walk accross London... Yes, I am crazy. I walked to Kings Cross and made my way to Regents Park (a real jem close to London's heart). I loved the park so much, I decided to see another one in Hyde Park. For those of you who don't know London very well, Hyde Park is a very large park where large venues and concerts are often held (including the Live 8 concert on July 2nd). Park was nice but not as nice as Regents Park. I walked down Piccadilly Lane (did I mention there is a mob of tourists in London?). Cut accross Piccadilly circus (once again) and made my way up to Oxford street to finally make it back to the residence. Total distance travelled: 8-10km by foot. Total time spent: approximately 2 and a half hours. Total blisters on my feet: You don't want to know.

But the walk was so good for the soul (needed the exercise) plus I didn't get lost once, only looked at my map twice and gave directions twice to total strangers (I hope I didn't send them the wrong way) and took this cute families picture in Regent's Park... Dad thought I was going to run away with the camera. Yes, I am a true londoner with only 12 days in the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home