SergeInTheUK

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Notting Hill

We have just returned from an amazing day in Notting Hill and the Portobello Market. Once again, markets in London are amazing and this one is no exception. Although items in this market are a bit more pricey, there are great treasures. It is an antique lovers paradise with everything from old prints to old maps, to vintage clothes, to cutlery dating back to Queen Victoria as well as everyday things of 200 years ago. You'll also find mountains of victoria-era furniture. We couldn't go to the market without getting a few things. I bought a map of Canada and the Maritimes dating back to 1900. I also bought a vintage wine stopper and 2 bronze wine glasses (2 pounds each!).

Jess bought a beautiful necklace which makes her eyes stand out as well as a teapot, a map of Canada and a drawing of a flower dating back to 1794. She also bought a very cute purse for going out. We finished the evening with a great Italian meal in the district of Soho and a beer in Covent Gardens (I got to watch the French-Germany football friendly... oh yes, Jess's friend Latitia was there so I could watch the game).

Ironically, I met up with 5 classmates in Soho and Covent Gardens... Although there are 7million Londoners, I seem to be running into people all over the place (In Camden Town, I ran into Catherine from my Thursday night course). I guess London really is a big village!

Jess has posted pictures from her trip to London which are quite fun to look at... She'll be adding more photos as the weeks progress so I suggest you check them out periodically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home