SergeInTheUK

Monday, October 10, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving... From London

Yesterday, I visited the zero meridian in Greenwich... No, this isn't a song by the Tragically Hip. But it was quite neat to view the sign post which started all meridians around the world. It was at the top of the Greenwich park which rises up to provide a great view of the City (London's financial district) and downtown London.

Latitia and I slowly made our way through some of the most interesting shops I've seen so far in London (specializing in 2 pound books... not the weight but the price;, and Maritime items). We got to visit some museums including the Royal Observatory and the Maritime Museum (free of charge, of course... most museum run by the government are free everyday).

We finished the evening at Leicester square where we met Sarunas. We walked to China town which eerily ressembles the one in Montreal. There are tons of restaurants and choices for eating out. We eventually chose this all you could eat buffet for 5 pounds (we are students after all!). The food was good. We went for a pint accross the street at this really neat underground Irish pub with live music (we are in London after all!). Afterwards, Latitia and I went to see this movie called the Green Street Hooligans about football hooligans and their gangs (we are in the UK after all!).

Given the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday is not celebrated in the UK, I will take today in stride although I need to go to the bank to open an account, purchase tickets for a faculty event, meet with a potential supervisor for my research paper, attend an introductory meeting with a nurse at the LSE Medical Centre, attend a debate on whether free trade promotion can help development or fair trade is the real answer... Oh, and I have to do 2 loads of laundry, purchase an ironing board and I'd like to go for a run and discover my neighbourhood... Not bad for my first day off :)

Take care everyone and happy thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home