SergeInTheUK

Friday, September 30, 2005

Departmental Induction

Coldplay is playing while I'm sitting at the Tipsy Beaver bar at the Rosebery Avenue bar nursing a cold. Thank god for Wifi access! Just came back from my first day of official business at LSE, the departmental induction ceremony... It started at 10:00 this morning and ended at at 4:00 PM this evening. Even though the actual presentations were quite long, I did learn quite a bit about my program... Next week is career fair along with a million other things (There are over 100 societies at LSE and they all seem to have their annual general meeting the same day). Add the sports tryouts for football (european, that is) and the 9-day straight crash course in mathematics, statistics and quantitive analysis, add a little apartment hunting and you have a busy Serge... But not too busy to respond to e-mails or compile my blog because that is time well wasted! Listen, I've cut TV out of my life, I can have my little vices :)

I decided to try to complete a research paper on ethical investing or microcredit instead of one of my courses... I must admit, I have a hidden agenda in all of this... First of all, I get to skip two 100% exams in the summer term (a bonus in itself) and I get to write a research paper which should help me with post-graduate school if I so choose to go that route...

Problem is I need to find a professor at LSE willing to help me with this... Easier said than done... If you follow the core courses, no problem (because there is no requirement from the professors) but as soon as you deviate from the core courses, you are on your own... I will try to call a few of them tomorrow to book appointments to discuss my research proposal and see if anyone is willing to give me a chance. There are 3 members of the faculty involved in corporate social responsibility, ethical accounting and social accounting...

On that note, I have to get up early to view yet another apartment so I should probably go to bed in order to get a good nights rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home