SergeInTheUK

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Watching football in Virginia Water FC


As my plane touched down on the Heathrow tarmat, I had a strange sensation that this was the beginning of my adventures in London. It began like it ended this summer... with a bit of drizzle. Having left Ottawa on a beautiful autumn day with beautiful company, it seemed only fitting that I arrive in the rain. It did represent my mood, and I was so exhausted at the end of the trip.

I decided to drop off my large suitcase at the Heathrow airport left luggage. Although, the UK is quite different from Canada in many ways, I knew what to expect this time around. Lots of people, very small places, everyone in a rush...

After that, I had to find my way to Rob's (he lives in Woking, UK... Where is Woking, you might ask? Good question! It's a suburd of London, about 45 minute train ride out from central London and 55 minutes from Heathrow by bus. Arrived around noon, just in time to drop my things off at his place and drive to the Virginia Water FC to watch the Brooklyns old boys season opener.

Rob and Rob's coach, Gaz, even allowed me to sit in on the pep talk at the beginning. The English sure love their football! The game was quite civil until a fight broke out towards the end... but all in good fun. And we witnessed typical English weather with excellent sun (took a nap under the sun), then drizzle (thankfully brought my raincoat to the field), the sun again, then drizzle.

So, let's recap:
1) Busy Heathrow Airport
2) Suburb of London visited
3) Watched English Football at a community level
4) Witnessed typical weather

I'm slowly losing counsciousness as I writtttttttttting these linessssss.... Sorry, I just dosed off on the keyboard... More to follow tomorrow :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home